BOOKS TO READ THIS SUMMER:

8 replies, 8 voices Last updated by  Kayte Ferris 9 months ago
  • Natasha Jackson
    Participant
    @natashajackson

📚 Inspired by @snapdragonjane and her holiday plans, I want to know what you all plan to read this summer or what you recommend as the perfect summer book? I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t read a book since my son arrived nearly 4 years ago, so older books are fine 😆

Jane Lindsey
    Participant
    @snapdragonjane

I recently loved The Outrun by Amy Liptrot and am half way through Maggie O’Farrell’s “I am, I am , I am’ and really enjoying it – it fits into small chunks of time – I don’t think I read much at all when my girls were small – but it comes back!

Natasha Jackson
    Participant
    @natashajackson

Thanks so much, Jane (@snapdragonjane)

I am feeling brave enough to attempt to pick up a book so I’ve just ordered the Maggie O’Farrell as I like the idea of small chunks. And, Outrun is lined up in my basket too.

Looking forward to spending some time away from the screen! xx

Lou Archell
    Keymaster
    @lou

Have you read ‘Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine?’ It was the book in our Summer retreat last June. It’s strange, and addictive. Worth a read.

I’m excited by this thread… I need to read more and stop scrolling instagram!

Lou x

Anonymous @

I keep seeing Eleanor Oliphant recommended on Instagram Lou, so I think I definitely need to read it. I really don’t read as many books as I’d like to. I read blogs and magazines more as they don’t take as much time/concentration, and I think when you have little ones that can be difficult! I would love to get back to reading more though, I used to do 8-10 books on a two week holiday, unfortunately those days are long gone!

Looking forward to seeing more suggestions on this thread

Clare x

Emma Lavelle
    Participant
    @emma-lavelle

I have so many book recommendations – I read as much as I possibly can and aim to read at least two books a month (I’d like to get this to one a week –  I used to read about 10 a week when I was younger and just devoured words)

Recent reads that I’ve loved: What Should be Wild by Julia Fine, The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert, Red Clocks by Leni Zumas, Everything I Never Told You and Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, The Taste of Blue Light by Lydia Ruffles, The Strays by Emily Bitto, Marlena by Julie Buntin, The Animators by Kayea Rae Whittaker and Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill

Bit of a mixed bag there, so hopefully you find something you like!

Anonymous @

I have a rather odd habit of re-reading I Capture The Castle almost every year at about this time, I am saving it up for this weekend, it’s the perfect mid-summer book to my mind.  I never go to sleep without reading but all too often I only manage a couple of pages so it can take me a while to get through a book these days.  I read a lot of classics so I’m trying to nudge myself to be a bit more contemporary this year and I think I will finally give in to the Eleanor Oliphant craze and I’ve also lined up My Name Is Lucy Barton (though I’m definitely a little late to the party on that one).

Kathryn Lewis
    Participant
    @kathrynhlewis

Late to this, but thanks for the reading tips, Emma. I feel very under-nourished in a literary sense so will definitely look these up.

Kayte Ferris
    Participant
    @kayte-ferris

This is the thread that I need! I tend to like books that are quite domestic and very insular, where you’re really inside the person’s head (think anything by Ian McEwan). I’ve just started a short book called The Wife by Meg Wolitzer which is already addictive (again I am very a lapsed reader so this is an important point!). Books I’ve enjoyed in recent years are The Winter War by Philip Teir (translated from Finnish so very Scandi if you like that kinda thing), This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (American suburbia and the absurdities that come with it – being made into a film now apparently), and an old favourite is What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt (one of the most compelling books I’ve ever read).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.