Recipe! Summer recipes…

11 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  Rebecca Allen 11 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Lou Archell
    Keymaster
    @lou

Has anyone tried Claire’s latest recipe for roast chicken, new potatoes and green goddess salad?  I had it yesterday and it blew my mind! Damn that woman is good.

Recipe here: https://sisterhoodcamp.co.uk/old/recipe-claire-thomsons-roast-chicken-salad-with-green-goddess-dressing/

This is a thread for any delicious recipes we should be trying.

I’m going to pick some elderflower later, to make some cordial and gin!  I’ll share the recipe here soon.

Lou x

Anita Farkas
    Participant
    @anitafarkas

I’ve just read Anna Jones’ recipe for elderflower & rose cordial! I know what I’m doing next weekend :-))

Anita x

Lou Archell
    Keymaster
    @lou

Cor! That sounds amazing!  Can you share the recipe please Anita?  Also, show us pictures of your finished drink… YUM! Lou x

Anita Farkas
    Participant
    @anitafarkas

Absolutely!  It is from this beautiful book by Anna Jones. Here is the recipe and I can post photos at some point this weekend after making some cordial. 🙂

Ingredients:

Makes 800ml

2 unwaxed lemons

100g elderflower heads (about 12 heads)

1 small red rose, petals picked (it is best to use rose from garden, shop-bought ones tend to be sprayed so aren’t good to use in cooking)

325g caster sugar

125ml lemon juice (3-4 lemons)

Fill and boil the kettle. Peel the zest from the lemons in long strips.

Put the elderflowers into a large bowl with the lemon peel and rose petals.

Pour over 500ml of boiling water and press down the florets, making sure they are submerged.

Leave to cool, then cover the bowl and leave to infuse at room temperature for about 36 hours.

Strain the infusion into a medium saucepan, pressing the flowers with the back of a spoon, to release all the liquid, then discard the flowers, branches, peel and rose petals.  Add the sugar and lemon juice to the infusion, then turn the heat to high and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is starting to simmer.  Take off the heat, leave to cool, then pour into a sterilised bottle. Seal and store in the fridge for up to a month.

Don’t worry when that the infused liquid doesn’t look very appealing, when the lemon juice is added the rose’s intense colour will return like magic.

Natasha Jackson
    Participant
    @natashajackson

This sounds the perfect summer drink 👆

Anonymous @

This sounds so lovely.  I’m determined to make some Elderflower cordial this weekend and I think I’ll try this recipe too.  I’m wondering if pink roses will do the same job, I suppose the colour won’t be as intense but I’m guessing it won’t matter taste wise?

I have a different Anna Jones book which I love, do you recommend this one @anitafarkas?

Anita Farkas
    Participant
    @anitafarkas

@rebecca_poshyarns Sorry I’ve just seen your post (so far it takes me quite a while to figure out/see/notice replies and follow conversations)

Yes, 100% recommend it. It is vegetarian and although I am vegan, still plenty of recipes I can use or adapt a little bit. But, for me this is not ‘only’ a cookbook; it is a beautiful photography book, it is about cooking as a way of meditation, cooking as a tool for practicing mindfulness. It is about senses. It is also essays about cooking. I love the writing and descriptions on the pages. I often just read it because of the writing and looking at it because of the photos.  Ok, I am a fan of this book. Yes, I can recommend it. ☺

Lou Archell
    Keymaster
    @lou

HI Anita

We are working on it. In the meantime, if you head to your own profile, you can see all replies of your threads, and click through and reply to them.

Fingers crossed we will have a better profiles and userbility coming in the next few days.

Bear with us.

thanks

Lou x

Anita Farkas
    Participant
    @anitafarkas

I hope you all had a lovely weekend. I tried the described recipe and I’m happy with the result. Only iPhone photos last night 🙂

Elderflower and rose cordial by Anna Jones

Natasha Jackson
    Participant
    @natashajackson

I loved seeing the process on your Stories too @anitafarkas

Thanks for the inspiration!  xx

Lou Archell
    Keymaster
    @lou

OH YUM!!!!!

Rebecca Allen
    Participant
    @rebecca

I’ve made about 4 litres of the stuff this week! Im addicted. It’s so simple but the results are just perfect and I love the entire process from collecting the flowers to bottling it! I’ve been sipping mine with water but might switch it up a bit and try it out with bubbly or a Gin and Tonic at the weekend.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.