Where are you on your business journey – and what do you need help with?

21 replies, 11 voices Last updated by  Kayte Ferris 1 year ago
  • Laura McMahon
    Participant
    @smallestlight

Hi Camilla, thanks so much for your reply and the advice! I will definitely factor in the magazine timings for next summer and I love the summer candle-lit evening idea, lots to think about! Thanks and look forward to getting into lesson 2 this week! Laura x

Anonymous @

Hi Camilla,

I am the designer-maker behind Handmade at Poshyarns.  I sell online with the bulk of my business being through online market places like notonthehighstreet.com but I’m trying to alter the balance there and drive more business to my own site.  I’m also looking to make bigger changes and perhaps gradually transition towards a different sort of business (maybe something closer to what I started with).  Less of a personalised production line, fewer products, higher price points and more time.  I’m also nursing a growing desire to work towards a less product based business at some point – doing more with writing and photography but this is still very much a fledgling daydream.

I’ve just finished reading the SEO lesson and found it really valuable with a lot of things clicking into place as I read.  I have lots of questions but need to sit down and make some notes first, thank you so much for such a useful post.

Rebecca x

Gaelle Jolly
    Participant
    @gaelle

Hi Camilla,

Thank you very much for your advice. I’m aware I need to do a lot more thinking and research, and these are some excellent pointers!

Gaelle

Kayte Ferris
    Participant
    @kayte-ferris

Adding to all of Camilla’s excellent suggestions, I would also suggest getting super clear on your foundations. You’re in a position where you have a ‘thing’ you can do, but still hundreds of options in terms of which direction to take it, which can be very paralysing. I always suggest started with two things: why you want to do it, and who you want to do it for.

These two things will really shape what your initial offering is. For example, if your ‘why’ for wanting to do something is because you love to help others learn a new skill, then your offerings may evolve from workshops, to e-courses, to membership sites, to books. Or if your why is actually that you love the mindfulness about sitting and crafting alone, then perhaps your offering is selling your products.

And then the who your doing it for (which my Find Your Tribe e0course will help you with :)), will dictate the format these offerings take. So it will be where you choose to host your workshops, the kind of things they make etc.

Kayte Ferris
    Participant
    @kayte-ferris

Hi Gaelle! So nice to see you here :). Your work is so beautiful and unique it needs to be available to people 🙂

Kayte Ferris
    Participant
    @kayte-ferris

Emma, let me know if you want any more tips on being your own creative coach 🙂

Love the sound of your shepherd’s hut and workshops – I’m always on the lookout for interesting venues so this really pricked my ears up! I ran one of my workshops at a venue outside Bristol (look up @simpsonsisters on Instagram) and she has a similar business model to what you’re thinking – she has the venue and caters but has other people come in to do the workshops. She’s lovely and I’m sure would be up for a chat.

Kayte Ferris
    Participant
    @kayte-ferris

Hi Clare, sounds like you have the creatives curse of always having new ideas and wanting to try everything! Which is a great thing but you need to set a few boundaries if you want to put all your focus into monetising something. What I always ask my coaching clients at this stage is ‘what do you want to be known for?’. If two friends are having a chat and one of them says “I really need X” and the other one enthusiastically recommends you as the best person for that, what is X in that scenario?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.